Thursday 16 June 2011

Struggle

As time goes by we struggle with many things in life, in 1976 the youth and people were in a struggle for freedom and their basic human rights. Now we struggle for jobs and education and to right the wrongs that were upheld during the apartheid times.

We all struggle with different things, most people only seeing their own problems or the problems of a certain sector with which they are closely acquainted. We forget that there are others who are less fortunate than ourselves, and just how blessed we truly are. Today we remember what the youth went through during an unfair regime. But mostly we rage against those who brought violence against the school kids from Soweto so many years ago.

I was going to write an article about how I'm struggling now because I'm on holiday and I have nothing to do, but I realised that I am actually really quite spoilt. I have so much at home that I can do, I just don't always recognise that its there. I have decided to learn to play guitar, and I can, because I have a guitar available in my home. There are many people out there who would love to be able to touch a guitar, let alone play one.

When look back on how things used to be, I realise just how blessed I have been. I have been given a loving family, friends, and so many opportunities that at times I am rather overwhelmed. I have access to a tertiary education and to the almost certainty that once I qualify I will find a job.

Let us look back on the hard times that make up the history of our world and be grateful when we live in a time of peace, rather than complaining about the lack of excitement in our lives. Let us count our blessings and thank God if we are unable to do so because they are far too numerous.

No comments:

Post a Comment